If you’re looking for things to do in Newquay when it rains then read on to discover some local suggestions!
While many people might take the car and hit the roads, many others will have the same idea, so it can be good to know what’s local to the town, rather than spending the day sitting in the car!
Newquay Indoor Attractions
Indoor attractions in Newquay include:
- Blue Reef Aquarium, formerly called the SeaLife Centre, on Towan Beach – where you can spend an hour or two looking around the aquarium and having a cup of coffee and a teacake in the cafe overlooking the beach.
- Newquay Cinema is a multi-screen cinema right in the heart of town, with films and shows running throughout the day.
- Pirate’s Quest, on St Michael’s Road offers an hour-long voyage through Cornwall’s pirating past. A brand new storyline for 2016 will see visitors transported back over 300 years to the dawn of The Republic of Pirates. You need to book as the tours run at set times and are limited numbers. Your journey begins with a LIVE pirate helping you escape a shipwreck.
- National Trust house Trerice is just two miles inland, offering a large historic manor house to be explored. There is also an on-Site café/restaurant – Licensed restaurant in the barn.
- Tennis at Newquay’s Heron Centre, next door to the zoo. There are a limited number of indoor tennis courts available. There is an adults’ tennis court and also a Kids’ Zone, as well as a mini tennis court. All equipment can be hired. Non-members are welcome to hire a tennis court.
- Indoor bowling – Hotel California have bowling lanes. A little further out, there’s also a new and large bowling centre just a few miles north of Newquay beyond Watergate Bay, called Atlantic Lanes, which can be found in the grounds of Trevarrian Holiday Park.
- Pick Your Own Fruit is often indoors these days, in polytunnels. Check out the PYO Farms Near Newquay.
- Visit the local museums in Newquay: Museums in Newquay – by seeing and learning more about an area, or its people or history, you can squeeze an extra piece of enjoyment from your visit as you gain historical perspective and context.
Newquay Indoor Events
Most Newquay events are outdoors, including all the surfing contests and beach activities, but there are some smaller events that can be found indoors. Keep an eye out for posters in local shop windows and the public notice boards as you never know what will crop up!