In 2017, Bonfire Night is Sunday 5 November – with fireworks displays being held on Saturday 4 November and Sunday 5 November, these being the Bonfire Night weekend.
It’s all change for Newquay Fireworks Displays this year, as the Mermaid Inn at Porth are no longer putting on their infamous best fireworks display in Newquay! Earlier this year the organiser responsible for the years of great nights and huge fireworks displays, Mr Bob Brewer, sadly died, so the Mermaid Inn are no longer in a position to organise the displays. RIP Bob, you brought joy to thousands!
Putting on large fireworks displays in public spaces such as beaches involved a massive commitment and amount of time to cut through all the red tape before they would get the “Go Ahead” and this was the life work of just one man, Bob Brewer. Now he’s gone, it’s no longer possible for The Mermaid to host these nights.
So what are the alternatives?
- FREE Fireworks at Newquay Sports Centre on Sunday 5 November. This fireworks display is the town’s official public event. A donation is requested for the Newquay Lions group.
Bar and refreshments There is no parking on site, so you’re advised to start out early and walk. Gates open at 6.30pm and the fireworks display starts at 7pm.
Facebook Page: Newquay Fireworks 2017
- Fireworks at Fistral Beach. The Stable restaurant and Fistral Beach Bar are hosting a fireworks night on Saturday 4 November, at 8pm, there’ll be a fireworks display at Fistral Beach.
Facebook Page: Fireworks at Fistral 2017
- Wax at Watergate Bay are putting on a free fireworks display on Saturday 4 November at Watergate Bay Car Park. A fundraiser event, there will be collections for local organisations, raffles, BMX demonstrations, music and hot drinks & food vendors. Car parking available at the two local car parks, plus additional overflow car parking will be available. It will all be well signposted.
Facebook Page: Newquay Fireworks at Watergate Bay 2017. Fireworks start at 7pm
- Cubert Fireworks Display, 3 miles from Newquay is on Saturday 4 November at Cubert Village Hall. This is a fundraising event, supporting Cubert PTA, St Cubert Church and the Cubert Annual Christmas Lights. There will be a licensed bar, BBQ, side stalls and entertainment. Free parking in the Church field. Entry is £4/adult and £2/child. Starts 6.30pm, fireworks at 7.30pm. Closes 9pm
Cubert Village Hall, High Lanes, Cubert, Near Newquay, Cornwall, TR8 5PX.
Facebook Page: Cubert Fireworks 2017 – tickets from Anvil restaurant or the Shop.
Where Can You Watch the Fireworks From?
If you aren’t able to get to either venue, then you might still be able to view the fireworks from afar, if you’re passing and could stop off, or if you want to just walk a few hundred yards from your home.
- Sailors Pub/Club are advertising that you can view fireworks from their decking area – advertised for Sunday 5 November .
Facebook: Watch the Fireworks at Sailors, Newquay
- Walkabout Aussie Sausage Sizzle. Watch fireworks from their decking area on Sunday 5 November, from 7pm. Boozy hot drinks and BBQ.
Facebook: Walkabout Bonfire Night 2017
Viewing the Fireworks for Free Without Attending an Event!
For a variety of reasons, you might wish to see the fireworks, without actually attending an event. It can be hit and miss what you see on the night, depending on the display put on and the weather!
- On Saturday 4 November, if you’re in or around Newquay Harbour area, or the Huer’s Hut area, you’ll be able to see the fireworks at Wax, Watergate Bay. Similarly, you should be able to see them from the gardens of the Great Western and The Fort, or further along above Tolcarne, or even above Lusty Glaze beach. Just think where you’d be able to see the Watergate Hotel from and you’ll be able to see the fireworks.
- On Sunday 5 November, The Sports Centre fireworks are a little harder to pinpoint good viewing areas from as they are a little inland by 500 yards and down in a little dip, but if you think hard enough you’ll find a spot! Possibly the Barrowfields would be a good spot, or take your chances on higher ground near Hendra.
Newquay Fireworks on Webcam!
If all else fails why not try to see if you can view the fireworks online via Newquay webcams.