You can take part in I Am Team GB in Newquay or Cornwall – this is a national event, on Saturday 27 August 2016 where you get the chance to try out new sports for free.
What is I Am Team GB?
On Saturday 27 August, we’re inviting the entire nation to join our homecoming Olympic heroes and say “I Am Team GB”.
Brought to you by The National Lottery and ITV, I Am Team GB will feature thousands of fun, free events across the country.
The event is taking place in partnership with the British Olympic Association, UK Sport and is supported by Join In.
New providers, sports clubs or organisations can sign up an event at any time until the last minute, so keep an eye out locally for new posters, or on the radio as late entrants are set up.
Or, you can do your own thing, as the IAmTeamGB website says
Do your own thing
Take the dog for a walk. Go for a family bike ride. Have a kickabout in the park. There are lots of great ways to get out and get active for I Am Team GB – and you don’t need to go to an official event to do it. Whether you want to do something by yourself, or with friends, we have lots of ideas and inspiration for you.
So, what’s on with IAmTeamGB activities in Newquay:
- 9-11am. Saturday 27 August, Open Gym at Newquay Sports Centre, TR7 3BH with FREE access to gym and a Weightlifting taster
- 4-5pm, Saturday 27 August, Free Swim at Waterworld. A one hour swim, 4-5pm. Tell the reception team IAMTEAMGB and swim for free.
Newquay Waterworld, Trenance Road, Newquay TR7 2JY.
- Datto Ping, 6pm to 10pm. “Datto Ping! is the free street ping pong festival which sees table tennis tables popping up in remarkable and surprising places in 21 towns and cities all over England. The ping pong extravaganza is just too tempting to resist; to join in the fun as part of I AM TEAM GB, simply grab a bat from the side of the table and play – absolutely free of charge!”
Datto Ping is available 6pm to 10pm at:
- Walkabout Inn, The Crescent, Newquay, TR7 1DS:
- Waterworld, TR7 2LZ.
- Newquay Sports Centre, TR7 2SL
- St Francis Meadow, Mitchell, Newquay TR8 5DB
That’s it for Newquay at the time of writing… maybe some local clubs have got more they’re organising.
Do Your Own Thing
The alternative is to “Do Your Own Thing”, as I Am Team GB suggests. Here are some local, Newquay, activities you can consider to get you out and active: Get Outdoors in Newquay
IAmTeamGB Website: I Am Team GB – check for other Newquay IamTeamGB events, or for any further afield in Cornwall.