The world pasty championships results for 2016 showed some surprises! There are eight different categories in all and three winners per category, so plenty of lucky winners, from over 100 entries. The competition was held on Saturday 5 March 2016.
The winners in 2016 for the standard Cornish pasty recipe are as follows.
Traditional Cornish Pasty Category
In this category, contestants had to make and bake a pasty to the traditional Cornish Pasty recipe, which is defined by ingredients, shape and crimp as a product with Protected Product Status. The 2016 results in the four categories were:
Cornish Pasty Amateur
- 1st: Roger Richards of Camborne, Cornwall.
- 2nd: Alistair Wall of Camborne, Cornwall.
- 3rd: Billy Deakin of Mount Hawke, Cornwall.
Cornish Pasty Professional
- 1st: Julie Heard of Bodmin, Cornwall.
- 2nd: David Collings of Fowey, Cornwall.
- 3rd: Andy Heath of Bodmin, Cornwall. (last year’s winner)
Cornish Pasty Company
- 1st: The Chough Bakery, Padstow, Cornwall.
- 2nd: Cornish Premier Pasties (with their Cornish gourmet pasty)
- 3rd: Prima Bakeries (last year’s 2nd place)
Cornish Pasty Junior
- 1st: Jack Fuller, aged 9, of Wadebridge, Cornwall.
- 2nd: Amy Meredith, aged 6, of Helston, Cornwall.
- 3rd: Jodie Heath, aged 10, of Bodmin, Cornwall.
Savoury Pasty Category
In this category, contestants could invent and bake their own recipe for a pasty filling. The 2016 results in the four categories were:
Open Savoury Amateur
- 1st: Don McKeever of Bristol with a pulled pork in a cider sauce pasty, (last year’s 2nd place)
- 2nd: Emma Pugsley of London with a sausage, shallot, potato and pepper pasty.
- 3rd: Cherry Ferris of Penzance with a “Mumbai pasty”, containing onion, sweet potato, green peas, cauliflower and a secret selection of 15 herbs and spices
Open Savoury Professional
- 1st: Louise Slee of Torpoint baking a pulled pork, sweet potato, shallots and cheddar pasty.
- 2nd: Alan Pearce of Budock near Falmouth baking a cheddar, red Leicester, onions, potato and cayenne pepper pasty.
- 3rd: Andy Heath of Bodmin baking a three cheese, spring onion and potato pasty.
Open Savoury Company
- 1st: Warrens Bakery baking a chicken, potato, swede, onion in a creamy white sauce.
- 2nd: Cornish Premier Pasties Ltd. baking a chicken and mango pasty.
- 3rd: The Chough Bakery baking a chicken, smokey bacon, leeks, potato, onions and cheddar pasty. (last year’s 2nd place)
Open Savoury Junior
- 1st: Rhys Heath, aged 13, of Bodmin, Cornwall baking a “breakfast pasty”, containing bacon, sausage, scrambled egg, baked beans, black pudding and hash browns.
- 2nd: Harrison Shaw, aged 9, of Portsmouth, Hampshire, baking a kangaroo steak in a sweet pepper and red wine sauce pasty.
- 3rd: Robbie Mowbray, aged 12, of Wadebridge, Cornwall, baking a haggis, neeps and tatties pasty with wee dram.